The Board of Education Meeting on Tuesday, November 10 will be re-broadcast on Comcast Channel 96, Verizon FIOS Channel 12 and is available via webstream at http://www.ccboe.com/ . To view the full agenda and the various reports, please visit BoardDocs .
The below notes are my personal notes and are not intended to be all-inclusive or official minutes for the Board of Education meetings and are provided as a request from my supporters and the general public in a personal effort to be more transparent. Although I have diligently tried to make these notes as unbiased and accurate as possible, I am only human and do make mistakes.
Executive session – 12 p.m.
Call to order – 1 p.m. - Pledge of Allegiance – La Plata High School
Superintendent’s update to the Board - Superintendent's report 11-10-15.pdf (137 KB)
Correspondence/board member updates
- Kelly - PAC Meeting - link between student success and attendance; at future meetings allow for time for parents to provide feedback to administration
- Kelly - 2016 is centennial for establishment of BOE; help planning events
- Palko - thank you for inviting us to participate in college application week
- Palko - congratulations to adults graduating and earning their diplomas
- Palko - visited McDonough kudos to the librarian and reorganization and incorporation of Spanish section. Visited Craik and Hanson and J.C Parks
- Marshall - congratulations to McDonough It's Academic team
- Marshall - North Point and J C Parks environmental impact
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees update
Student Board member’s update - November.pdf (109 KB)
Superintendent’s rule #6431: extra-curricular activities/athletics eligibility requirements
- Superintendent's Rule October 2015.pdf (142 KB)
- Kelly - Where does it recognize the 24 hour fever free for a student but not be penalized
- Abell - questions the wording under #1 and #5 of the Policy
- Marshall - questions changing this Policy without it going through the committee
- Rule moves forward but the policy will go through committee
Overview of instructional technology and career technology education (CTE) programs - INS_CTE_TechOverview_Nov 9 BrdMtg.pdf (323 KB)
Board goals - Goals Presentationforcommitteereport.pdf (163 KB)
- Kelly - what happened to moving STEM to STEAM and increase CTE enrollment and promote anti bullying program
- Abell - thanks committee; thinks there should be one set of goals, not board and supt. goals; should be measureable. Almost identical to Supt. goals. Should merge the two documents.
- Palko - agrees
- Kelly - fine and performing arts promotion vs center.
- Consensus is to move forward. Dr. Hill will mere two documents and bring back as a report item in December.
- Palko - Recognition of State Champions subcommittee (Lukas, Palko, Hill) should have recommendations ready to present by December meeting
- McGraw - Met with Commissioner Murphy - boards to get together again in January
Future agenda items
- Marshall - Fine and Performing Arts - McDonough had a program presentation and wants the presentation for the board.
- Marshall - Teacher mentoring program in Charles County
- Students - Hollis Lyon, 5th grade, Career Readiness; James Craik Elementary School, Principal: Debra Calvert ; Olivia Robinson, 5th grade, Academic Achievement, Malcolm Elementary School, Principal: Wilhelmina Pugh; Delaney Hinton, 5th grade, Personal Responsibility, J.C. Parks Elementary School, Principal: Thadine Wright; Naseem Abujuma, 8th grade, Career Readiness, Benjamin Stoddert Middle School, Principal: Ken Schroeck; Matthew Johnson, 12th grade, Academic Achievement, St. Charles High School, Principal: Richard Conley
- Employees - Kelly Elliton, third grade teacher, Craik; Pamela Batchelor, fourth grade teacher, Parks; Linda Hollomon, fifth grade teacher, Malcolm; Tynika Lytle, Pupil Personnel Worker, Stoddert; Katherine Schubbe, Business Education Teacher, St. Charles
- Liz Brown - Granddaughter in kindergarten lived in Waldorf, Eva Turner. selling house to move to LaPlata. Contract on selling house immediately. Moved in with grandmom in Jenifer Elementary until house built in Matula zone. told they could not attend Turner or Matula but must attend Jenifer.
- 2016 Legislative positions
- Parent Involvement Matters Award (PIMA) resolution