Call to order – 1 p.m. - Pledge of Allegiance, La Plata High School
- 2017 Maryland All State Junior Band - Evangeline Gilmer, Benjamin Stoddert Middle School
- 2017 Maryland All State Senior Band: Shelby Green, North Point High School; Annabell Tchoumak, North Point High School; Adrian Paras, St. Charles High School
- 2017 Maryland All State Mixed Chorus - Thomas Snyder, St. Charles High School
- 2017 Maryland All State Woman's Chorus - Iliya Coles, North Point High School; Marissa Hapner, North Point High School
- Kelly - MABE Conference Planning Committee, Topic suggestions needed; Somers History Fair impressed; County Chess Tournament coming up
- McGraw - PAC meeting very informative and beneficial; will be attending the Apr and Oct State board meetings and invited other members
- Palko - Thank you notes from seniors she interviewed; CCPS and EACC well represented at State own Hall in regards to NCLB replacement
- Crawford - EACC Lobby night
- Marshall - Women's Heart Health Month, Black History Month - went to African American Museum in DC and highly recommends a two day excursion
- Lukas - Palko and him went to Annapolis and learned what delegates want to do or not do with education in the coming year.
Education Association of Charles County update - 2017-02-14 BOE update.pdf (54 KB)
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees update
- Maintenance and Operations Group - additional new schools and PK and K wings and square footage with newer technology and we only added four additional employees. Need more employees, steps and cost of living
Student information system update - StudentInformationSystem.pdf (1,754 KB)
- Paid sick leave for all employees, two bills; oppose both
- Bills regarding state accountability
- HB425/SB - Prohibit suspension PK-2nd.
- Seatbelt on bus bills
- School naming committee - Request was made for the committee to come back with 3 names of places
- Palko - invited to MABE executive session to report on governors task force.
Future agenda items - None
Recognition – 4:30p.m.
- Read Across America (Charles County): Accepting: Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer Elementary School: Julue Boucher, reading resource teacher; Anita Richardson, reading recovery teacher; Zachary Miskell, fifth-grade; and Gracie Miskell, first-grade
- Women's History Month: Accepting: Maxine Griffin Somerville, president, Charles County Commission for Women
- Fine and Performing Arts Month: Accepting: Evangeline Gilmer; eighth-grade, Benjamin Stoddert Middle School; Rodney McGee, eleventh-grade, Maurice McDonough High School
- Tabitha Thorne, twelfth-grade; Career Readiness, Robert D. Stethem Educational Center, Principal: Evelyn Arnold, Ed.D.
- Katarina Lile, eighth-grade, Academic Achievement, Matthew Henson Middle School, Principal: Christina Caballero
- Aaliya Jamison, fifth-grade, Academic Achievement, William B. Wade Elementary, Principal: Kevin Jackson, Sr.
- Maya Cauley, fifth-graderade, Personal Responsibility, Dr. Samuel A. Mudd Elementary School, Principal: Kimberly Hairston
- Thomas Nguyen, fifth- grade, Career Readiness, Arthur Middleton Elementary School, Principal: Louis D’Ambrosio
- Catherine Smith, fifth-grade, Academic Achievement, Jenifer Elementary School, Principal: Nancy Seifert
- Tiffany VanDyke, Acting Virtual Academy/Evening High School specialist, Stethem
- Heather Tonnessen, language arts teacher, Henson
- Joy Fisher, special education instructional assistant, Wade
- Diane Smith, media instructional assistant, Mudd
- Robin Riddick, first grade teacher, Middleton
- Jennifer Brown, art teacher, Jenifer
- Richard Koch - Behalf of Charles County School Bus contractors regarding study on transportation presented today. Shows we are the best value for the county tax payers. Study acknowledges transportation costs should increase 3% a year. Consistent with our concerns. Study means nothing if board fails to act on the recommendation. Failure to act will result in additional costs to the board. Finance at 3.5%. it's higher than that now. Buy at depreciated cost is unrealistic.
- FY2018 proposed operating budget
- Elementary #22 contract award